Friday, July 20, 2012

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had no idea what to expect when I selected this book. As a guy, I realize I am not the target demographic for this book. However, as a longtime fan of L.K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Mary Janice Davidson, and my favorite of the mix, Kim Harrison, I have a pretty open mind and a broad spectrum. The greatest thing I look for is interesting stories and characters with depth. This book has a good foothold in both.

I guess I felt like I would see more light-hearted fun based on the cover, but this is gritty and full of action. To me, that was a bonus and a welcome surprise. This story was actually several stories or adventuress in one and really kept my tapping the screen on my Kindle Fire. (I guess that is the techno-equivalent of a page-turner.) There was not an over-abundance of "squishy" stuff to make me--average male reader--discard this a "chick lit".

The bottom line is that a good story is a good story. H.P. Mallory writes a good story. If you are a fan of the likes of Kim Harrison and others, I think you will enjoy this. Just don't go in expecting cutesy and funny. This is clever and entertaining.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment