Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The best wife a wife ever had.

Puppy tired...need nap...here look fine.
So, I have actually been told by a "professional"  that I have some pretty severe OCD (I won't get started on shrinks and their propensity to label and medicate everything...that touches too many people personally and it is just my opinion). Hey, I like to clean and I like things in order...so sue me.

Maswa...a pretty cichlid.
My wife works out in the real world with office drones and the like while I am home putting in my full day-plus as a writer and editor. And while many people think it is a life of luxury...I probably put in more hours than most "office drones" while at my desk doing something that is much more difficult than it looks. Think of Cirque du Soleil...they do all that stuff and make it look easy. Anybody good at their job does that, be it construction, baking, or writing. But rest assured, it really does take focus and long hours.

To all the haters :-P (I really can be petty sometimes)
One of the things that I do to clear my head in between each carefully segmented session (editing or writing, I ALWAYS parcel my work...writing is done in 500 word blocks, editing in 5 page blocks) is clean the house. Yep, I like to clean. I do laundry, vacuum, do dishes, scrub toilets, and all the other glamorous jobs people never think of when I say that I am a writer and have the luxury of working at home. And my wife loves it, she says that I am the best wife a girl ever had. Some folks get all funky when she says it. Listen up, I got enough "man" going on to not give a crap. I bench around the 300# range and squat over 400# (I can do rep sets of 20 at 315# if I take three weeks and whip my legs into lifting shape, and that is at age 47). I take it as the compliment that it is intended. I got over labels a long time ago.

Two sittings of almost 4 hours each...and I laughed.
I am okay where I am at in life right now. I overcame obstacles to reach this point, and now I get to do what I love. I just happen to keep a clean house in the process. Oh, and I like to cook. I am addicted to the Food Network. The other day I created my first rub for boneless pork ribs. It was espresso, cocoa, smoked paprika, a dash of sage, brown sugar and cinnamon. Denise took a bite and her eyes closed in bliss. So when people ask if I feel emasculated when my wife makes that comment...uh...no. I an make her smile the moment she walks in to a clean house after a day out in the world, moan with bliss at the dinner table, and sigh in contentment every night when she snuggles in to my (her words here) "big, broad, snuggly" chest.
September 7, 2013...I will be ready
People are funny. They love to pick at things. And I used to care about it. But somewhere along the way, I figured out the game. I only need to make one person in this world happy. My wife. So I treated it like I do anything else that I want to be great at and I studied. What made her smile? What made her get the look she gets when she feels special? She hates housework and I don't...so I clean. She likes little gestures. So every morning when she steps out of the shower as she gets ready for work, I am there with her towel...I dry her face and give her a kiss to start her day...she smiles. I plan dinner and watch videos on different preparations after picking the menu, then have it plated and ready for her when she walks in the door each night (it is like the last 30 seconds of an episode of Chopped in the kitchen as she is pulling in). That makes her a happy wife, which makes me a pretty damn good husband. But what's in a label? Not a damn thing...it is what is in your heart and head that matter.

11 comments:

  1. yeah like I need more reasons to be jealous! my only real question is...do you do foot rubs as well?
    I am expecting full on pampering when I (we) come over now ya know!
    not stop chatting and get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise says I give awesome ones. The secret is the cocoa butter.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Todd. I am guilty of letting what other people think bother me. I'm better than I used to be, but I am a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really used to, but now, as long as my wife and my dog love me...I'm golden.

      Delete
  3. Wow, except for your pansy-ass weight lifting numbers, we have scary-similar routines. I do all of the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc., while my wife tortures people for a living. She's a dentist, so it's not only legal, but she gets paid for it, too.

    Oh, I just realized those weights were in pounds. I guess that's not bad, then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super...now I picture you married to Steve Martin's character from "Little Shop of Horrors"

      Delete
    2. Lol, I tried to get her assistant to take pictures of me in the chair being tortured with pointy instruments, but they wouldn't do it. At least she's cuter than Steve-O, though ;-)

      Delete
  4. Not sure who said what or why they said it but you have the secret to living a happy life and staying married! I worked until I had my Jenna, meaning evenings, weekends and holidays. That left Douglas to fetch Jacob and Jordan after work, if the shifts overlapped, and going home to do the "women's work" while I was gone. Diapers, cooking, cleaning etc have to be done-period. Last time I checked, a man who shared the household chores, cherished his wife, and cooked was in demand. Doc cooks and loves the food shows, as do the rest of the family. An adult does what needs to be done. Your job is to write. If you scrub the toilet, THANK YOU! Genitalia shouldn't matter; I thought that is what equality was all about? And by the way, we all love to be pampered by our loved ones-man, woman or pet. Nuff said, except we need to cook together for our better halves sometime.
    Jamie Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely on all counts...especially the cooking. Very soon, it must be done. We just plan a menu, shop, cook and then pat each other on the back while our beloveds sit back and rub their bellies.

      Delete
  5. Life really is about the ones you love. This was a great post. Thanks Todd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. And you are welcome...you never known what you will find here from one day to the next.

      Delete