Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Is there anybody out there...?



Writers often live in a bit of a self-imposed chamber of isolation. The job of writing is solitary by nature and does not lend itself all that well to multiple inputs. Sure, there is the rare collaboration, but the act of writing is still individual, even if you are feeding off of the other person in a give and take situation.

We look forward to those early reviews in order to see if we hit the mark. Nope, this is not a call for reviews, so take your hand off the mouse. I am simply making a comment about how this is a solo endeavor. One of the biggest hurdles you have to overcome is the ability to live in that void. You have to be willing to create a piece of work that will be hated by some. You have to make choices that are often not poplar. Also, you need to be able to smile when somebody says, "You know what would be a REALLY cool idea...?" Remember, they are just trying to help.


When I work on a book, I never really know where it is going to end. Even better, when I think that I have it figured out, something will come along in the story and take me in an entirely different direction. I avoid using outlines like the plague because I think they can make a story linear. One of the strength--I believe--in my writing is that it has an organic feeling (in other words...feels "real").


All of this is a long way to go about saying that I will be putting together my pre-packaged blog posts for DEAD: Snapshot--Portland, Oregon in a few weeks. I am looking for people who would like to host me, or even send me their very own interview questions. Any takers? Anybody with friends of friends who have blogs and are looking to have a guest post or two? Well then, shoot me a line (or have that friend of a friend) at twbrown.maydecpub@gmail.com. I am open to any form of media. Blogs, podcasts...you name it.

15 comments:

  1. would be fun to have you on my blog! so send me what you want to share!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will absolutely send you my "media" kit! I have a self-interview and a post about what to expect from the Snapshot collection. Which would you like (and yes, both is an option, but I'm not greedy).

      Delete
  2. I'm not a writer or blogger myself, but would be glad to share links for you on FB or Twitter. I'm in some zombie fiction groups on FB that would likely be great spots to boost the signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate every little boost. Never know who might see it when it is spaced out around multiple social lines. So, you have my thanks.

      Delete
    2. Excellent! Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. You know what would be a REALLY cool idea...just keep doing what your doing
    graham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in. I'm more than happy to promote you to the meagre handful of persons who read my blog. Shoot me an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a self-interview and a post about what to expect from the Snapshot collection. Which would you like?

      Delete
    2. Sorry Todd, I forgot to drop back here and check for responses. (I emailed you but didn't hear back.) Maybe send me the one about the Snapshot collection and I'll put it up today.

      Delete
  5. Would be happy to host you, Todd. Just send me an email and let me know what you'd like to do and when. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I asked Kris, I have a self-interview and a post about what to expect from the Snapshot collection. Which would you like? I am looking for a release around April 3rd.

      Delete
    2. I do not want to be greedy or take over anybody's blog with multiple posts. So I will simply be tickled with either one being accepted.

      Delete
    3. How about what to expect from the Snapshot collection? But either will work for me. :-) Just send me an email with the info and when you want it posted and I'll get it set up. Loving the idea for the Snapshots!

      Delete
  6. If I had a blog (sorry I don't) my interview question would be: How do you seem to BE each character? You write each character in such a vivid way because you have the ability to express what they are feeling. It amazes me when you do Emily zombie for example, how on earth can an adult human male possibly know what a female child zombie would be doing or thinking & feeling? Or a female Ghoul? Or even the mother cat in #9, she is doing exactly what a cat would do. Or any of the characters in your stories? I think a lot of authors get caught up in the "I am writing a book & it will have a great plot" that they forget to observe the tiny details around them to see how the characters in the story are feeling, and expressing those feelings. You do that so well, you must be incredibly observant.
    You wrote somewhere that as an author one of the biggest compliments it to hear that you made a reader FEEL. I wish I knew how you can feel the characters that you write.
    P.S. Thank you as well for the vacation from my chronic pain, and for all of the other people that suffer from ...It doesn't really matter from what, the ability to let people escape their troubles is such a wonderful thing. Thank you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      It is wonderful to hear from you. And I appreciate immensely your kind words. I honestly do not have an answer about sinking into characters. I do things like close my eyes and such, but really, it comes more from observing than anything else. When I am out, I am watching people. (My wife can attest to how many times I point out mundane things and explain how it works in my mind as I see it. She really is very patient.) I see every experience as something that needs to be put to words.

      And I am very humbled by the compliment that your spending time reading my work is in any way a counter to your real pain. That still blows my mind and makes my words of "thank you" seem so very inadequate.

      Delete