Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My first LIST of the season.

I realize that the over-commercialization of the holiday season has ruined Christmas for many. And there are those who want to gouge their ears out when they hear that first Christmas song before the Halloween pumpkins have even been tossed out. Personally, I can't wait for November 1st, so I can crank up my Spotify "The Cool Christmas Collection" playlist. (You can search for it under that title and become a follower so that the playlist is available to you.)

I know there are some out there who HATE Christmas music. I am just the opposite...I can listen to it in July and it had nothing to do with the holiday...I just dig the music. Personally, Christmas was never a favorite season of mine when I was young for personal reasons that would just be a downer to read, so we will skip it. Yet, the music has always really done it for me. And now there is just some VERY COOL stuff. I know these lists are subjective...so share yours.

I had to really think it over to narrow down MY top 10. (And most if not all of the can be found on my Spotify playlist "The Cool Christmas Collection".)

But before I get to it, just can't forget this song that was perhaps one of the largest gathering of Pop Stars who wanted to make a difference:


#10 The Waitresses...perhaps the best "Story" song EVER! Patty was under-appreciated.



#9 Dino! The man was awesome!



#8 Bing & Bowie...I actually watched this special that spawned this classic...



#7 This was hard to put at 7..I like it WAY more...but it gets tough from here for me.



#6 I never miss this...and will NEVER grow tired of this classic.

<>
#5 Okay, I cheated here...I know it is three songs, but it is MY list.



#4 Today's female pop tarts got nothing on the original Cat Woman!

<>
#3 Karen Carpenter was my FIRST crush!



#2 I am a sucker for the instrumentals...



#1 The guitar work simply blows me away and the power behind this piece is amazing!



Now...I have to include a couple of "honorable mentions" just because they are fun.



2 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to think you and I are close to the same age..either that or you're a young man with an old, wise soul.

    I feel you with the Christmas music. Christmas was the only day of the year that my father didn't smack me for doing something stupid...which I was really good at. lol Now that I'm older and my kids are grown, the holiday has lost most of its magic but the music still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

    I do have to disagree with one of your choices, though. I have always hated the song "Santa Baby." No particular reason, it just makes me cringe every time I hear it. The rest of your list is spot on. :)

    Now, thanks to you, I think I'll make a cup of hot chocolate and crank up some Christmas tunes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Christmas music in July. Or May or August. I listen to TSO year round (much to my family's chagrin) and look forward to Fall so I can justify it.
    Many long nights of writing are spent listening to their music. And once Sirius XM starts playing the Christmas music, that's where the radio goes.
    Unlike you, Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. When Jess and I were first married, she used to fight me to keep me from putting the tree up before Halloween. Now, not so much. I try to wait until closer to Thanksgiving. It would have been up last weekend but we need to steam clean the carpet first. Maybe this weekend...

    ReplyDelete