Monday, October 20, 2014

Permuted Press S@#tstorm...(and murder by social media)

Hmm...do I have your attention?

Yeah, I guess that is the topic of contention this week. (I say "week" in a very loose sense here.) I don't really have anything to say on the subject. I don't have any skin in the game, and I know well enough to understand that there is always two sides to a story. My only POV regarding the subject is that I find it interesting how many people are piling on. People who, like me, have no skin in this, yet feel the need to broadcast their opinion about which side is right or wrong. It is sort of like Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, George Clooney, Barbra Streisand, or Melissa Ethridge spouting views on  global politics and such. I think Homer Simpson said it best...



They are no different than anybody else. Yet, for some odd reason, we seem to value their opinions. Well, as a member of a fringe literary community (by that, I mean horror writers), if you are not directly impacted by this situation, if you do not have ALL the facts...then who are you? Why do you matter? We are simply too much of a knee-jerk society these days. We are always looking for the next target for which to sling our mud. Be warned...the following clip is a much more offensive and extreme example of my general point. If you are easily offended, just skip it.



So here is my official statement on the situation. Don't know. Don't care.



I can talk to one person who says there is nothing going on, they read their contract, had a lawyer look at it, made some counter-proposals, and are content with their lot. And then there is the other side. Which side do I choose? It is like when a couple has a falling out...I learned at an early age: DO NOT TAKE SIDES. For one, you are usually only basing your choice on the one doing the most crying. That is a lousy way to determine culpability. Second, if there is ever a reconciliation and you let things fall out of your mouth...you can't unsay them.

I have read some great titles from Permuted. I have also read some real bombs. I believe that will continue to be the case. Why? Because it is a matter of taste. I form an opinion. Does that mean it should be yours? No. You make up your own mind based on your own experience. Am I going to throw out the baby with the bath water on this? No. I have friends with books under that label, and I will continue to support their work as long as it is good reading.

This is just another issue that I have with social media. Everybody is always up in each other's business. Also, too many people spout THEIR PRIVATE business all over the place. And even worse...they think it MATTERS. Enough already. The degree of societal self-absorption has become epic. We have parents leaving their children in cars...forgetting that they were there until a body is discovered several hours later when they get off work, walk out to their car, and discover the body. (Don't believe me? Click the link.) I have to believe some of the blame comes from how we have all become so fused with our phones that we have dehumanized society. We have a singular focus: SELF.

I now step off my soapbox and await the vitriol. Have a nice day.

2 comments: