Monday, October 6, 2014

A trip into the Wayback Machine!



Yep, it was another one of those weekends where, unless you were with me, you missed out on something amazing. Like my favorite ghoul, Ava Birch, I have a love for all things 80s. And while I was more often found at the Judas Priest and Van Halen Concerts, I also had/have a love for groups like Journey, Styx, and Foreigner. Journey was "kissin' music". Seriously, if you went to high school in the early 80s, then you know exactly what I am saying.

All the Schon talent without the afro.
I saw these guys at Harefest this summer, but to be able to experience them up close in a more intimate venue (GREAT JOB to the folks at The Douglas Fir Lounge) was a treat. Stone In Love is not only spot on in the sound of their talented musicians, but in the most important and difficult place...VOCALS. I defy most men to try and nail the sound if Steve Perry. My voice cracks just thinking about it. But once you hear Kevin, you will be transported to those glory days of the power ballad. And, fellas, it is normal to be jealous. Seriously, I was surrounded by a throng of women (from 21 to 61) who wanted to take him home and have their way. Simply put, his voice is butter. He had them eating out of his hand from the moment he took the stage with all that energy and started in on "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)."

Driving the car with bass...and a hidden vocal gem lurks behind the keyboards.

And all of that is fine, but it means nothing if the band does not pull their weight. Trust me...they do. The guitar work was stellar and the timing being kept by bass and drums were stellar. I was also impressed with the backing vocals. A lot of times, that gets dialed down to almost inaudible, but the band really holds their own. That is most apparent with the song "Anytime." And as a side note, the drummer is a blast to watch. It is obvious that he loves what he is doing. I am reminded of John Mayer. If you have ever seen Mayer perform, you know he is into it by watching his face...same goes with Jason Fellman, drummer for Stone In Love.

The rest of the rhythm engine...

The band nails every aspect of the Journey sound. So, if you are a fan, I suggest checking out their website, Facebook page, or the J-Fell Presents page for the next show date info. Besides Stone In Love, you will find a number of other amazing acts to catch and the venues where you will find them.


I would be remiss if I did not mention the opening act, original artist, Stephanie Schneiderman. She reminded me of an uptempo Laura Gibson. Her voice is beautiful. My only problem was that most people were still just talking and visiting, so she was tough to hear at times unless you were up front. But when you tuned out the crowd and listened...you were treated to something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment