Friday, June 8, 2012

A break in my series on horror to visit Asylum Lake

My series on the state of horror movies will resume tomorrow. Today, I will be premiering my review of Asylum Lake by R. A Evans.



I have to start my review by doing something that I never do...address issues raised in a few of the negative reviews. The biggest being a remark made about Mr. Evans depiction of a particular religious faith. It was one paragraph in a book and it was from a character POV. The criticism is without merit and I urge any who consider passing on this title based on such a volatile statement  to ignore that review and purchase the book.

So, Asylum Lake revolves around Brady Tanner and is one of those stories that has so many elements that it spans a broad number of genres. It is a ghost story, but there is also a mystery, and a tale of dealing with grief and loss of a loved one. Mr. Evans does an outstanding job of keeping all the balls in the air as he juggles the many aspects of this story. There is even a budding romance and a tale of friendships left untended. I would most liken Evans' story telling style to Robert McCammon.

I enjoyed the fact that this tale sets up what is apparently going to be a series set around Bedlam Falls and Asylum Lake. There is obviously more to the story and the conclusion is satisfying yet leaves that door open.

I would be remiss if I did not address issues. The early portion of the book seemed to have need of some editing. The majority was clean (or I became so engrossed in the story that I failed to notice), but the first quarter could use a little tidying up. As I am familiar with his editor in passing, I know that the individual will certainly address the issues and  likely revisit the work. I will say that it was nothing worth setting the book aside, the mistakes were minor ones and not worth missing such an entertaining read. I will certainly read more by Mr. Evans.

1 comment:

  1. Editing mistakes are easily corrected. What grabbed me about your review is that you, as an editor, didn't get distracted from Evans' ability to spin a yarn. I think this speaks well of him as a writer (and you as an objective editor). Based on your review, this is a book I would consider reading.

    ReplyDelete