Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The stories are wrong.


We have seen the movies, read the books, watched the series. Zombies are big. There are a variety of reasons why the genre appeals to the masses. We love a good end-of-the-world apocalypse. But I have made a discovery this summer.

We are NOT prepared to survive such an event.

Knees the size of cantaloupes.
Many of you know that I have been getting swept up in the OCR (Off Course Racing) scene. Events like Rugged Maniac, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, and, most recently, the 13.1 mile 400 meter, 25+ obstacle Inferno Run have dominated my summer.

Out on these courses, I am discovering that running through the woods or even an open field (full of ankle grabbing ruts) is a lot harder than the books or shows make it out to be. And while I am not in some top-form shape like some of the competitors who zip through these courses in superhuman times that are unfathomable, I have finished each race. However, it has taken its toll on my body.


And after 5 hours, to have traveled just over 13 miles? That was trying to get from point "A" to point "B" as fast as I could. My body was useless for the next few days, and I am actually still nursing injuries from the Spartan Race a month ago! 

Elbow
My take away from this? We are not going to fare well in the event of an apocalypse. Zombie or otherwise. The human body is much more suited for an evening on the couch or a walk in the park. When you start adding in running for your life, climbing fences, scaling walls...well...

There is no finish line in a zombie apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment