Monday, June 2, 2014

Addictions...I have a few.

So, let's just start with the assertion that I do not drink, smoke, or use drugs. I have been sober for almost 20 years. I do drink coffee, and I don't ever see that changing. However, that is not to say that I do not have my own addictions. And the funny thing is that both have become so in the past year. What are they? Extreme running events and tattoos.

As many of you know, this weekend started my running season. It was the Rugged Maniac 5K. It sported 30 obstacles that included a 50 pound sandbag carry up and down some bleachers, plenty of mud pits, barbed wire, and cargo nets. It was a great way to start a Saturday. And while I am still quite a ways from the shape that I want to be in, I feel that this was my launch pad. I have now decided that I want to run a triathalon by next summer. To that end, I will probably be attempting my first 13 mile event this summer if I can get my body ready in time.


I have about a dozen such races picked out for the summer and look forward to the challenge. What makes these doubly good is that the majority of these runs give proceeds to everything from Wounded Warrior, to our everyday local heroes like police and firemen who have been hurt or even perished in the line of duty.


But I won't fib...the best part of those races is finishing! There is a real sense of "What the hell was I thinking?!" mixed with "Wow! That was amazing!" every time I complete one of these races.


My other addiction is the tattoo. I just got a set on my calves to honor my favorite band in the world. The ORIGINAL LINEUP of the band KISS. (Nothing against the guys who have stepped in to create the most expensive tribute band in the world...sorry Tommy and Eric, but Ace and Peter will always be the Cat and the Spaceman.) And I have many more planned in the future to go with the full upper arm pieces I have on both arms as well as the one on my right forearm. I do plan to get full sleeves for both arms and I am working on plans for a back piece as well.

So...what are your "healthy" addictons? Feel free to share below.

1 comment:

  1. Well reading is one of my addictions along with writing. I think that I could say coffee and tea are an addiction as well. I want to say playing D&D. some may laugh but we play once a week sometimes more and when we can not I get rather upset. I have had a lot going on and writing has not been able to happen so much and D&D was my creative outlet when I can not write. It gets the imagination going, helps me with my math, and I get to hang out and have fun with all my friends. Also I want tattoos, first I need the money for that.

    ReplyDelete