Thursday, June 13, 2013

John O'Brien...need I say more?

Today, I welcome best-selling author John O'Brien. No matter what metric you use, if you are number three on the Amazon Top 100 Horror Authors behind King an Koontz, you have serious bragging rights. Since that is not his style, let me do it...folks, this guy has the mother of all action hero zombie stories going with his A New World series. If you haven't read it yet...get busy. 

And now, please sit down and spend a few moments with John O'Brien.




Describe your first zombie “experience”?

I think that would have to be watching the movie, Night of the Living Dead.

Favorite Dawn of the Dead (original) moment? Remake?

I don’t really remember watching the original – yes, I know that will mean a lynch mob will be showing up – but my favorite from the remake is when they were sending signs from the rooftops and picking out zombies to shoot.

What is the last zombie book you read?

I really try to stay out of reading within the genre in order to not subconsciously take other author’s ideas. With that said though, the last one I read was Zombie Fallout 6 by Mark Tufo.

What makes your story stand out from the masses?

I think it is the night runners themselves that make the series stand out. They aren’t technically zombies at all but a genetically mutated species of humankind. They prowl the streets and fields at night hunting for prey. They are stronger, faster and more agile and their abilities are growing.



What will you tackle next? (If you are writing a series, what will you write after the series is over?)

I have another series in mind when the ANW series places the final period on its story. I actually have several but I know which one I will start on. It’s starting to do that “talking to me” thing but that doesn’t mean Jack and the crew are near to ending their story as yet.

Worst reaction you have received about your writing?

Trolls for the most part. However, there are ones from people just out of SWAT training who slam the tactics. Those are usually the worst and slam the books the hardest.

And on the flip side, what is the best…the one that almost embarrassed you it was so effusive?

I wish I could include the one here but it is gone from the reviews. The gentleman who wrote them passed away but his reviews were quite glowing.



If any of your work was to be made into a film, which piece, and who is THE big star you would love to see in the leading role?

Bruce Willis

What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

Insidious or Sinister. Growing up, The Omen series were horrifying.

What is something about you that would surprise your fans?

That I knit... okay, just kidding. I’m not really sure there is anything about me that would come as a surprise to anyone. I’m pretty simple and live that way.

What is in your “to be read” pile right now?

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore and Dark Rising by Greig Beck. I don’t really have much time to read these days which saddens me greatly. I used to be such an avid reader.

John O'Brien
Author of A New World: Chaos, A New World: Return, A New World: Sanctuary, A New World: Taken, A New World: Awakening, A New World: Dissension, and A New World: Takedown

No comments:

Post a Comment