Thursday, January 17, 2013

Paranormal Rom/com by Rose Pressey is "okay".

Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One of my guilty pleasures are the books of Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, H.P. Mallory, and a few others. As a guy, I realize that I am not exactly the target demographic for these authors, but we all have our weaknesses. Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey caught my eye and I decided to give it a whirl.

The story is fun, engaging, and reads clean (bravo to the editor!). Those are all positives. This obviously serves as the intor to the series so it is important to lay out some character trait material in the first book. I get that. I did feel it was a bit labored at times and seemed to drag the pace down. Also, I kept waiting for Larue to show me something. The villain was telegraphed from the moment that you met her and I was a bit baffled that somebody who deals with the supernatural had such a hard time connecting the dots to come up with "witch".

The ghost of Abe Lincoln was a nice touch. Overall the book was okay enough that I will probably try the second to see where she goes from here now that introductions have been made and the characters do not need their every reaction explained.


No comments:

Post a Comment