Monday, August 10, 2015

More physical punishment.


This weekend was the PacWest Spartan Race. This was my second year on that course. It was entirely different than last year, and in my opinion, much more difficult. On the plus side, I actually completed obstacles that I have failed on in the past. However, I also felt much more beat up this time.


I did arrive early enough to see the elite men and women take to the course. (The men's winner ran the entire 4.7 mile course in less time than I ran the first mile.) These are athletes that are beyond amazing. To see them in action was impressive.


Rose Wetzel is actually the namesake for my own "Rose" in DEAD: Snapshot--Portland, Oregon. She and the other athletes are very gracious and friendly, saying hello to the "regular Joe and Jills" who take to the course that day as well. Some even posing for pics with fans moments before the starting gun of a race that is their passion as well as source of income.


The above obstacle was a real measure of my progress. Last year, I could not even get out of the mud pit (not pictured, but that is where that dirt berm came from). This year, I climbed to within about two or three feet of that damn bell, but in the end, I was simply too exhausted. Still, I only "failed" on three obstacles this year. The Z-wall, the rope climb pictured above, and the rings.

Left leg two days later.
However, at this moment, I am not sure if I will be running next year. This one took a lot out of me. So much in fact that we had to pull over on the drive home so that I could be sick as my body simply had reached a state of overload and dehydration.



Still, I finished, and that was the accomplishment. They say that doing these together with a few friends as team mates adds to the experience. Maybe if I had a few very slow and patient friends joining me, I would consider taking it on again next year. As of now, I am thinking that it may have been my last race.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks...it was brutal, but finishing was a special feeling.

      Delete
  2. congrats on finishing, last race who are you kidding you will be right back next year. i don't see you as a quitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see. I like retiring better than quitting. I know me well enough that if I start a race, I will finish no matter what, but this one did some damage.

      Delete
  3. well done and you say that now... but once you start training again you will be spiked to do it again!! maybe find yourself a little team to start/join for help and motivation etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A team would be great. Heck, two or three people together would be inspirational and give some motivation. I saw a few out there and was envious.

      Delete
  4. Great job, whether you return next year or not. There are other marathons that may suit you better and offer plenty of challenge so don't beat yourself up if you don't return. And they may not require a hose down, two showers and 2 sets of clothes before you get all the mud out! But hey, that is your gig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are AMAZING! But you are also way too hard on yourself. If you compete against yourself at each event where would you place? I think you should give yourself permission to select a few of the previous years events & toss out the ones that gave no pleasure. This way you have openings to try new things. If you just keep attending the same events as you did the prior year you will burn out. Thats not quitting it's time management.

    ReplyDelete