Monday, July 7, 2014

We are not the only ones who hurt.

Guardian Image
Sometimes, it is easy for us Americans to get overly egocentric. We have Pearl Harbor Day in December and Patriot Day on 9/11. However, we have had it fairly easy by comparison. Just ask people in the UK about groups like the IRA. But we don't have to even go that deep...
Thursday, July 7, 2005, four Islamic terrorists were able to detonate four bombs, three in quick succession aboard London Underground trains across the city and, later, a fourth on one of the iconic double-decker busses in Tavistock Square. Fifty-two civilians and the four bombers were killed in the attacks, and over 700 more were injured.
BBC image
The explosions were caused by homemade  devices packed into rucksacks. The bombings were followed exactly two weeks later by a series of attempted attacks.

So, take a moment and send your best wishes, prayers, and good intent to the innocent victims of another terrible day that should not pass unnoticed.

3 comments:

  1. being caught up in that day still haunts me as I cant use the tube system in london anymore :( thank you for not being so insular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, a couple of years ago, it was a conversation with you that reminded me. I was just as guilty as many of my colonial cohorts. I felt awful. And now, this day is one that I have marked because of my friends like you.

      Delete
  2. Having served overseas in the seventies I've seen first hand the effects of terrorism which has been around much longer than many are aware. Most Americans don't realize how good they've had it. During my two years in Germany I witnessed two shootouts between German authorities and terrorist, neither of which ended well for the terrorists involved

    ReplyDelete