Friday, August 19, 2016

Review: A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Okay, I really tried to like this book. It is one of my daughter's favorites. The more the story progressed, the more tedious it seemed to get for me. It was almost like Ms. Harkness wanted to create a "witches science" text. Yes, there was a"romance" undertone to the tale, but the story got bogged down with trying too hard to connect to things like Darwin's "Origins" text and other such things. I like a bit of "reality" in my fiction as well, but this just felt like it was trying too hard. The character of Diana is so wishy-washy that I could hear women around the world slamming the cover of this book shut in frustration. And I get it...sense of smell blah, blah, blah...and then special Yoga classes. Add in the Hatfield and Mccoy/Romeo and Juliet "our families will never approve of our love" angle and it just wore me down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment