Monday, May 5, 2014

If you write it...will they care?

This week is going to be a real "hit and miss" week. Don't feel slighted if you don't hear from me, it is just that the WHC (World Horror Convention) starts this week and I have a truck load of things on my "to-do" list. Not the least is to get some serious writing in as the new DEAD release looms ever closer. However, besides that, I am training hard for my series of "X-treme" 5K runs. The first is at the end of THIS month! When did that happen? 

So today, I am sending a bit of a plea out there to those of you who have read (or listened) to any of my books. There can be no growth in a void, so if you have some critical review material simmering, now would be an excellent time to share it. 

In addition, while I will not name names, I will say that there is a small (and apparently angry) group of people led by another writer who have mounted a 1-star campaign on everything I do. Now, the first thing I want to say is that 1 star reviews are part of the business. You get them and move on. You DO NOT engage the people who leave them. However, I think we also know that there are some hateful and spiteful people out there who become angered when others reach points of success.

I do NOT want fluffy pieces of 5 star drivel. I actually seek honest reviews that point out the high and low points of my work. If you hated it, that is perfectly fine. So tell me why. Where did I miss the mark? Sure, I love hearing what you like, but I don't mind being told where I fall short. Reviews that are constructive in the criticism they level are an invaluable resource. As a writer, I will be the first to say that my stuff is not for everybody. And I know that you can't please all the people all the time. I will never try. However, YOUR reviews are what tell the "powers that be" over at Amazon that a book deserves to be promoted via the Amazon emails and "recommended titles" notices. Also, believe it or not, other people read those things and decide on whether or not to part with their hard earned money based on what they see/read.

Last, but not least. maybe you have said, "If I could just sit down with that writer for 5 minutes and tell him what I thought (good or bad)..." Well, I read every single review, so in a way, that is your golden opportunity. 

I hope you have a great week, and I look forward to seeing some of you at the WHC!

No comments:

Post a Comment