Sunday, February 3, 2013

Some promise, a good start.

The Quiet: A NovellaThe Quiet: A Novella by Robert S. Wilson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Quiet by Robert S. Wilson has one of those opening scenes that draws you in and has you reading so fast that your eyes get whiplash. It had me on the edge of my seat and anxious. The mood was set and well maintained. I cared about the central character and felt his anxiety and trepidation. You are just as confused as the narrator (in a good way) as he tries to understand.

Unfortunately, I felt that the intensity waned and it just seemed to fade into a so-so offering. Perhaps the author was married to the "novella" idea and simply wanted to reach the end (which was predictably open ended). I wanted the intensity to be maintained. The author certainly showed that ability early on.

It is an okay book. It has the promise of something fantastic, but for me, it fell short.


No comments:

Post a Comment