Saturday, July 28, 2012

Radio days, the Olympic Games and That Ghoul Ava


Several years ago, I was a sports talk radio host. This was way back when station owners were people...not corporate conglomerates. The problem faced back then was what to do with the AM station. A few came up with the idea of talking about sports. I was fortunate to get an opportunity in a major market (Portland, Oregon) and enjoyed my short stint in radio. However, it was a small assignment where I hit my stride...I was able to write for a few morning show comedy bits. What does that have to do with anything? Very little, except for the announcement that I am pleased to welcome an old friend as a guest on my blog. On a walk with my dog, a voice from my past called me out and asked me why I wasn't sharing my love of sports with folks. "All you talk about is zombies. People are gonna think you're a freak." Starting Wednesday, Vinnie DeSporto will add his two cents worth right here. 


I have scanned my calendar and looked at what I have coming up in the next few months. Of all the projects, I think I am the most excited about my first full length run of a That Ghoul Ava adventure tentatively titled That Ghoul Ava Kicks Some Faerie Ass. For those of you not familiar with Ava, she is--no surprise-- a ghoul. Ava eats the already dead (because eating a live person would be gross). Ava lives in Portland, Oregon and has discovered a thriving supernatural community that lives under the radar of the human conscious. She is snarky, rebellious, and struggling to accept her new reality(think a female Bruce Campbell). The Ava stories are light-hearted and funny (I hope). I hope you will learn to love her as much as I do.


No rants today. In the spirit of the Olympic Games, I want to wish EVERY athlete the best. I heard a comedian do a bit on the games. He talks about how everybody knows who the winners are, but there is always that one person who comes in last and from the comfort of our couch, recliner, or bar stool, we say things like "That person shoulda trained harder." It would be great if they would pluck a spectator out of the crowd before each event to represent the rest of humanity. That would allow us to truly appreciate just how amazing these freaks of nature really are. So, today's note--the cyclists will be biking a distance of 250km (that's 155.343 miles to us Americans) for almost six hours through the beautiful English countryside at a pace of 25 miles per hour--so, one mile in about 2.4 minutes or 144 seconds. Grab your bike, mark off a short 2 miles and then pedal for all you are worth. Now realize that the cyclists will keep that pace for SIX hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment